Concrete waterproofing is done by putting a material layer that doesn't let water through on the concrete. This makes the structure waterproof so that water doesn't affect it much. Concrete is a porous and permeable material that soaks up water, contaminants, and chemicals that break down concrete.
Types of Concrete Waterproofing
1. Cementitious Waterproofing
The most straightforward approach to waterproofing in the construction industry is cementitious coatings. Materials used to make concrete waterproof are easy to find on the market. This method is used in wet places, like bathrooms and toilets.
But since it's used in wet places like bathrooms and toilets, it doesn't get exposed to the sun and wears down. So, cementitious waterproofing will not go through expanding and contracting.
2. Liquid Waterproofing Membrane
A liquid membrane is a thin coating usually put on with a primer coat and then two coats of liquid waterproof. This can be done by spraying or rolling. It is more flexible than cementitious waterproofing because it forms a rubbery coating on the surface it is put on.
The type of polymer that is utilised in the production of liquid waterproofing directly influences the longevity of the protection provided by the coating. Polymer-modified asphalt makes up the liquid membrane. Liquid polyurethane membranes are also used to keep water out.
3. Bituminous Coating
- Bituminous coating, also called asphalt coating, is flexible and strong. It makes a great protective coating and keeps water out, especially on concrete foundations. Bituminous coating is made of materials based on bitumen, and it can't be left out in the sun. After being in the sun for a long time, it gets very brittle and breaks easily.
4. Bituminous Membrane
A common way to waterproof roofs with a low slope is to use a bituminous membrane. The torch is on the bituminous membrane, and the membrane sticks to itself.
Asphalt, polymers, and filler make up self-adhesive compounds. The self-adhesive kind has a short shelf life because the membrane's ability to stick together worsens over time. It is a mix of organic liquids that are very sticky, thick, and water-resistant.
For the torch-on membrane, a flame is used to melt the bituminous layer on the member so it can stick to the member.
- Over the past few years, people have used a new type of waterproofing. These admixtures are added to the concrete at the batching plant or on the job site. They react chemically with the concrete, making it a barrier against water. Integral waterproofing systems for concrete can be densifiers, substances that keep water from getting in, or crystalline admixtures.
6. Crystalline Admixtures
- Most systems based on crystals come in the form of a dry powder. Crystalline systems use the water already there to grow crystals inside the concrete. This works by blocking the ways water can get into the concrete and damage it.
Are you looking for the best waterproofing service in Chennai?
Mother Build Care provides the best waterproofing service for your home through our skilled technicians. We are Chennai’s leading epoxy flooring service provider.
Please contact us if you have any further questions about waterproofing or need guidance on what to do next.
We would be overjoyed to do so if we can assist you. Do call: 93848 36661